Thursday 13 March 2014

Bethlehem

Goodness, I wonder if it was this difficult for Mary and Joseph to travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem.

Albeit it was cold, they had a donkey, a heavily pregnant lady, footsore and weary, they had to travel through brigand country. Poor Joseph was still betwixted and between about his duty to this Lady, another mans child, goodness he had very little understanding until the angels set him right. What then? What was the poor man thinking.

What about Mary, and all her troubles, her pain, her giving birth. Albeit she had been at her cousin's birth, so she knew what to do, but still, she was going to go through what Elizabeth had gone through. She had great faith, let us pray that we have great faith in times of trouble.

Today, goodness knows what it looked like during Marys day.

At Night

The Terrain to Bethlehem must have been treacherous, no roads, a path probably for the carts to rumble through, milling with  people and noise what a frightening world for a pregnant lady and her husband Joseph.



An image of what Palestine looked like before the unrest we hear of today.

A current Map of Bethlehem for Tourists






An ancient map courtesy and copy write of Dreamtime.

What Palestine Women wore to keep cool and for modesty.

Below the Gate of Humility.
I don't know about you, but I would require strength and faith to pass through a very small hole, knowing that, it was my only means of escape would conjure up terror for me, I am so afraid of small places. Thank goodness, then I am in my home.
I would akin the fear I feel to the utter terror those poor people in Palestine felt when the soldiers thundered down the streets of Israel and Bethlehem, slaughtering all the children under two, killing their mothers as well, mowing down anyone who got in their way all because Herod didn't want his throne threatened.








The inside of the fearsome entrance, is it not worth a moment terror just to see this site of wonder.

To see our Kings Royal Birth place, anointed and blessed with candles and holy oils.
I couldn't think of any more humbling, a small babe, born here over 2000 years ago, I hear the skeptics amongst you yelling "allegedly". Yea of little faith, Tens of thousands of pilgrims come here to worship him, and why not. I care nothing for science or the term "allegedly" God made us and we have been given the grace to believe in the Saviour and his birth place.



I have had my faith tested, humanity or lack of it has tested it, yet I see from my visit and reflection so many wonders. Put your hand here and doubt no longer.










No comments:

Post a Comment